I have a Breakfast Mediterranean Frittata Recipe that will get your day off to a GREAT start.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s a make-ahead meal that’ll help you sneak in some veggies first thing in the morning.
The US Center for Disease Control says that only 10% of Americans get enough veggies in their diet, so making a habit of adding them to your breakfast is a GREAT idea.
So how many veggies do you need? Federal health guidelines recommend women get 2 to 2½ cups of veggies a day while men get 3 cups. (Tip: raw salad greens require double or triple the amount to equal 1 serving, i.e., 2 cups greens = <1 cup cooked.)
Frittatas are good any time of the day but they are AMAZING for breakfast. They’re filled with nutrients to keep you feeling full till noon, and give you a good head start on your protein needs.
I especially love them because basically, anything goes when it comes to ingredients! You can experiment with different veggie/spice/salsa combos and they will taste great.
Breakfast Recipe – Mediterranean Frittata
1 small sweet potato
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup milk
½ small red onion, diced
3 cups roughly chopped spinach
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
½ cup black olives, diced
½ cup fresh basil, chopped
½ cup goat cheese, crumbled (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place washed and pierced sweet potato in the microwave and cook till done (about 5-8 minutes depending on the size). Meanwhile, in a large bowl mix the eggs and milk. Set aside.
- Place a large oven-safe skillet on the stove and heat on medium, adding olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the diced onion and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- When the sweet potato is done, remove peel, and chop it into bite-size pieces.
- Add the sweet potato, spinach, tomatoes, olives, and basil to the onions. Stir to combine and then pour in the egg mixture. Sprinkle in the goat cheese (optional), salt and pepper (about ½ to 1 tsp each) and give a quick stir.
- Carefully place the skillet in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the eggs are cooked all the way through in the middle. Cooking time will vary depending on your pan size, so begin checking after about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing into 4-6 portions. You can store the servings in individual containers. Store in the refrigerator until it’s time to eat.
This recipe will serve 4-6 people.
Did you sign up for my 5-Day Green Smoothie Challenge? It’s another great way to get your veggies in. 5 emails, 5 recipes, go at your own pace. Join: https://adelefrizzell.com/greensmoothiechallenge