WHAT IS HEALTHY SELF-LOVE? by Adele Frizzell
Self-love. It’s trendy. It’s also being marketed to females just like Botox, pink labels, and female protein powder.
What does Self-love mean, anyway?
It’s a hot topic right now: people are parroting this word and hashtagging #selflove in social media, but I have this uneasy feeling that a lot of them don’t actually know what self-love requires.
“A regard for one’s own well-being and happiness”. Boom.
There is also the unhealthy version: “The instinct by which one’s actions are directed to the promotion of one’s own welfare or well-being, especially an excessive regard for one’s own advantage.” (Dictionary.com)
I see this too, in the narcissistic pursuit of pleasure and material possessions in the name of self-love.
So, what does HEALTHY SELF-LOVE look like? What are some examples?
– Going to night school.
– Cleaning the house.
– Eating more vegetables.
– Dumping a toxic relationship.
– Getting up at 5:30 am to squeeze in a workout before heading to work.
– Living within a budget because you’re saving for a dream.
– Setting healthy boundaries with people.
– Saying NO to things you want to say yes to because indulging in that purchase/dessert/party/drink/toxic relationship runs counter to the standards you’ve set for yourself.
– Saying YES to things that you want to say no to because they will help you grow as a person.
Self-love requires discipline.
It means dedicating yourself to your health and happiness.
It’s not all bubble baths and red wine and “shopping therapy”.
It’s not rationalizations.
It’s not consumerism.
Self-love is a feeling that can’t be bought: it must be earned.
It takes time to develop. It requires emotional self-discipline, respect, dedication, and commitment.
Just like any meaningful relationship.
And if you’re not ready for self-love, you can at least start with self-like.
Need a daily dose of health & fitness motivation and inspiration? Join my private Facebook community, and surround yourself with positive people. Join us at https://www.facebook.com/groups/HFandU/ .
How do you show your love for yourself? Do you pamper yourself on your Me-time? Share with us how in the comments section below.